Oh my if you are anything like me there is nothing better on a rainy, snowy, dreary or any day for that matter than a big bowl of homemade macaroni and cheese.
Can someone say comfort food?
The cheesy carb loaded dish can be a side dish or can be a meal all by itself, I love every bite!
I came up with this recipe several years ago mmmm probably 14 years ago now(wow I must be getting old )
Every year my family makes applebutter and my mom is in charge of the cooking of lunch I decided I wanted to make macaroni and cheese to go with the fried potatoes, salmon patties, pinto beans and cornbread lunch (more about that in a later post, we make applebutter in October)
So here I am all these years later sharing my recipes, and life on this blog and I thought hey I need to share my old fashioned mac and cheese recipe so here you go
what you will need!
- 1 2/3 cup elbow macaroni noodles cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of cheese
- Preheat oven to 375degrees
- Grease a 2 qt casserole dish
- In a medium sauce pan, generously salted water you will cook your elbow macaroni until tender with a fork, (it will continue to cook in the oven)
- In a nonstick saucepan(medium size) combine
- garlic powder
- Over medium heat you will stir until butter is melted and incorporated with the above ingredients
- Add cornstarch and stir in
- Add can milk(remember to shake well)
- Add cup of milk
- Stir constantly so not to scorch
- When it comes to a soft boil add cheese 2 cups stir until melted
- Reduce heat and continue to stir
- In a mixing bowl beat the two eggs with
- Add by the spoonfuls( 3 spoonfuls of the cheese mixture to the beaten eggs(this is to temper the eggs so not to create scrambled eggs, you don’t want that)
- Add the tempered egg mixture to the cheese sauce and stir until fully incorporated
- Add the elbow macaroni noodles and stir
- Add macaroni to your casserole dish
- Top with remaining cheese
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown serve immediately and enjoy
I hope that you have a wonderful time with your family and close friends and whoever you decide to share this dish with! Be comforted as you eat!
If you do try this recipe please let us know by commenting below
Have a blessed day!!!