So a restaurant recently closed in town and my favorite dish there was their chicken tortilla soup, other restaurants claimed to have GREAT chicken tortilla soup but nothing compared to Max and Erma’s I was so sad when they announced their closing.
My mom decided to give this soup a try and found a recipe by one of our favorite chefs… The Pioneer woman
Let me just say that this soup is WAY better than Max and Erma’s and that is saying a lot because I felt like Max and Erma’s was the BEST Chicken Tortilla soup ever!!!
Go here to get The Pioneer Woman’s recipe as this is the one we used. Typically when I find a recipe I tweak it to make it my own and I will always share my recipes here and let you know that I tweaked it… This recipe was followed to a T by my mommy. It is the BEST chicken tortilla soup and serves 8 so great for Family dinner night! Or you could make it for a church potluck!!!
Will you be trying this recipe…. Let us know below we would love to hear how you liked it!
Have a fantastic day!
By the way did you notice that we also use Pioneer Woman dishes that you can find at your local Walmart… we love the high quality of these dishes perfect for everyday dinners yet fancy enough for a dinner party, LOVE it!!!
Kits are coming to the shop and we are excited!!!!
These kits will only be sold as a kit and not available as alacarte
Once sold out they may or may not come back… grab your kit while it is available!!!
The release will be a surprise it may be the first of the month the end of the month or somewhere in between… keep a watch out on IG for all the details
The first exclusive kit to be released is
“A night under the big top”
Dumbo inspired kit featuring stickers, die cuts and an exclusive only to Creative Corner Scrabble Tile Collectible Charm
What you get
- Icon sheet
- Appt boxes
- Half boxes
- Full boxes
- Sampler sheet
- Mini sheet
- Die cut
- Scrabble tile charm
Go to the Creative Corner to shop
Have a creative day!!!
so I have never been a fan of vegetable soup and when I say a fan of I mean I could not stand it, and beefy vegetable was worse… I always felt bad because it is probably my moms most favorite soup and since I did not like it she never fixes it(even though I tell her too almost begging her to I can always find something else to eat. She says it makes too much for just her so we just skip it every time.
Until the other night when I was helping mom put back her cookbooks(she is doing a bit of remodeling and so anyway I found a neat cookbook from the Amish country (one of our favorite places to go for day trips)
So inside the first page I looked at had this recipe that intrigued me “cheesy vegetable soup” and thus began our conversation about making it.
Yes we found the recipe in the Amish cookbook but we made it our own so we call ours “Better than Vegetable…Vegetable soup”
Here is what you need
- 3 medium potatoes(cubed)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 medium sized broccoli crown
- 1 can of green beans drained
- 2 quarts of chicken stock
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese sliced into cubes for easier melting
- green onions and shredded cheddar for garnish
- serve with crackers or cornbread
- wash, peel and cube potatoes
- peel and dice onion
- wash, peel and grate one carrot
- wash, dice celery
- wash and cut up broccoli(into florets)
- drain the can of green beans
- place all veggies into a large saucepan
- add 2 quarts of chicken stock
- add salt and pepper to taste
- cook on medium heat bringing soup to a boil
- cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender
- add the 2 cans of chicken soup stir into soup
- add the Velveeta cheese cubes stir into soup
- cook over low heat until soup and cheese has melted into the soup
- serve immediately with shredded cheese and green onions and saltine crackers or bread
Do you think you will be trying this recipe? Let us know below in the comments we would love to hear what you think of the soup!
Hey this may be a way to get your kiddos to eat their veggies because lets face it everything tastes better with Velveeta cheese 🙂
Yep you read that right this recipe will serve 2 people( with just a little left over– lunch the next day) a comfort filled meal(obviously you can double it, triple it or make other foods like broccoli, green beans, corn, salads, or how bout some French fries or chips😁)
I have seen similar recipes but this particular recipe came from me
If you like Philly cheesesteak, and if you like macaroni and cheese you are going to LOVE this dish!
Here is what you are going to need
- Box of Texas toast(you will only use 3 slices)(I used artisan bread and made my own)
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 2 steaks–Philly cheesesteak steak I use steak-umms but there are different brands steak umms you will need 2 steaks
- 1 cup of uncooked rotini
- 1/2 cup provolone shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 mini cube of Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- Dice pepper and onions and mince garlic(you may also use dried garlic or garlic paste)
- Bring 4 cups water to boil add generous amount of salt
- Place rotini noodles in boiling water stir and cook on med/high heat until al dente
- In a medium skillet sauté green pepper, onion until caramelized and tender
- Remove veggies from skillet
- In same skillet cook steak crumbling as you cook(cook thorough no pink)
- Drain pasta and add veggies and steak toss to cover
Make cheese sauce
- In a nonstick saucepan melt butter and mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic 1/2 cup milk, salt and pepper
- Add all cheeses and stir constantly melting the cheese(the cheese is going to ball up, once you add milk it will begin to melt into liquid cheese sauce)
- You will want to add milk by 1/2 increments until you achieve the perfect mac n cheese consistency(not too thick… not to thin)
Put it together and bake
- Pour cheese over pasta and steak mixture… stir coating all pasta and steak
- Place in a greased 9×13 pan
- Cover with cheddar cheese
- Bake in preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes
- Bake until cheese is melted, bubbly and golden brown(you may want to broil to get a golden brown crust)
- Bake your Texas toast according to package directions
- Serve immediately in a bowl and garnish with a few green onions
There is something about eating a cheesy dish in a bowl, it just adds that sense of comfort and it makes it yummy, also it is easier to eat(I think so anyway) If you would rather eat on a plate go ahead this is just a personal preference 🙂
Will you be trying this tecipe?
Let us know by commenting below