The day is overcast, there is a chill in the air, the leaves are falling and the weather is calling for rain showers!!!
The most commonly asked question in my house (probably yours too) is “What’s for dinner?”
With the weather being so dreary I think it calls for some warm yummy soup!
Tacos are on repeat in my house, and so is Mexican rice!
I got to thinking the other day about this soup, I began writing the ingredients and I couldn’t wait till Friday to test it out!
I mean what is not to love about a bowl of piping hot soup to just wrap you up like a hug?
What I love about this recipe is you will have most of the ingredients right in your pantry!
Mexican Chicken and Rice soupCourse: Uncategorized
2 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
2 cans mild enchilada sauce(red)
1 can green chilies
1 onion diced
2 cups white rice
2 boxes chicken both
1 can chicken broth
1 8oz can tomato sauce
- seasonings 1 tsp of each
salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan boil chicken seasoned with salt and pepper until completely cooked(1.5 hours)
- In a large soup pot put 2 tbsp olive oil and saute diced onion until translucent and tender
- Add rice to pot and toast over medium heat until rice is slightly brown
- Add seasonings in and stir rice until incorporated
- Add 1 box of broth and bring rice to boil turn heat to simmer and while covered simmer for 30 minutes
- Add 2 cans of enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and stir
- Add the remaining broth stir
- Add the shredded chicken and simmer for 30 minutes
- Serve with your favorite toppings (see notes) and tortilla chips
- Short on time? You can use 2 cups of rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store deli
- Toppings: shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, green onions, cilantro
- Try eating a cheese quesadilla with this soup!