The best taco mac came from a memory, a memory from my childhood
So,When I was a little girl, I can remember my mom making macaroni and cheese, you know the kind in the blue box!!!! Not sure if it was because I was a picky eater or if we all really loved macaroni and cheese, maybe it was easy to fix!
I can remember this one time my mom got a box of the liquid gold brand, it was salsa and shells it was so yummy for a twist on traditional macaroni and cheese.
Then we couldn’t find that kind in the grocery store again.
This weekend we decided to go back and bring salsa and shells back but elevated it, the BEST TACO MAC!
This is an easy one pot (2 if you cook your pasta seperate) meal and ready for your family I under 45 minutes!
Here is what you will need
- Shells pasta I used regular size not mini
- 1 jar of mild picante salsa
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 pound of ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- nacho cheese doritos
- splash of milk
- 1 can queso cheese dip
- 1 mini block Velveeta cheese
- shredded cheese for topping
Ready for the recipe
- Step 1- in a skillet or pan saute diced onion until tender
- Step 2-brown ground beef
- step 3- add taco seasoning
- step 4- boil shells until fork tender
- step 5- drain pasta and add to taco meat stir
- step 6-add 1 jar of queso cheese dip(found in Mexican food aisle or chip aisle) stir
- Step 7- add 1 jar of picante salsa and stir
- step 8- add one mini block Velveeta cheese and stir to melt
- step 9- add a splash of milk to thin to desired consistency
- step 10- serve with crushed domino’s and Sprinkle cheese on top
The BEST Taco Mac and cheeseCourse: Recipes
1 box pasta reg size shells
1pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 jar mild picante salsa
1 jar queso cheese dip
1 medium onion diced
1 mini block Velveeta cheese
- In a soup pot saute onions until tender
- Add ground beef and brown cooking through, as it cooks stir to break up meat into smaller pieces
- in a different pan bring salted water to a boil and cook pasts until fire tender
- once ground beef is cooked through add taco seasoning and simmer
- once pasta is done, drain and add to taco meat stir
- add jar of queso cheese dip, stir
- add 1 mini block of Velveeta cheese stir to melt and incorporate
- add 1 jar of picante salsa and stir
- add a splash of milk to get your dish to desired consistency remember it will thicken as it sits
- serve with shredded cheese and crushed domino’s on top
- possible toppings; hot sauce, guacamole, sour cream, green onions, pico de Gallo
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, this dish is awesome for leftovers. Do not put in microwave as it will dry it out.
To fix leftovers place the desired amount in a small sauce pan with 1 tablespoon of milk for each serving and stir as you heat it up over medium heat.
Have you loved the recipes on the blog come check out the cookbook