I love me some comfort food, nothing better than homemade macaroni and cheese except maybe homemade macaroni and cheese soup!
So we got into a discussion just the other day after I saw an ad for Panera bread mac n cheese served in a bread bowl(I have to try this!!!) And it was mentioned about the carbs… yes it would be a lot of carbs but since I dont really watch my carb intake I didnt care, then “you know what’s good in that bread bowl? Broccoli cheese soup!” I cannot disagree at all but I do think there are still quite a few carbs in the soup.
I did a google search on carbs of macaroni and cheese and broccoli cheese soup and it hit me like a ton of bricks… what if I made macaroni and cheese soup? Is there such a thing?
I began jotting down an ingredient list and tonight I built the recipe I will share with you!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- In a medium saucepan bring 6 cups water to a boil(remember to salt water generously)
- Once water is boiling add 2 cups macaroni stirring occasionally
- Cook noodles al dente and remove from heat and drain
- In a large soup pot or non stick cooking pot melt butter add the following… onions, celery, salt, pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper,ground mustard and simmer until onions and celery are translucent and tender
- Add cornstarch to butter and stir over low heat(you may need to remove from heat so it doesnt burn)
- Add 1 carton of chicken broth bring to a boil
- Add the 3 1/2 cups of cheese stirring constantly to melt through
- Add the macaroni noodles and stir in 1 can if evaporated milk
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until ready to eat
- Serve with cooked broccoli, extra cheese, garlic toast
I hope you enjoy this macaroni and cheese soup
Recipe is 100% created, written, and tested by me, Danielle
Let me know if you try it!!!