It is definitely soup weather here in WV and I am here for it! I could not wait to bust out my cute Pioneer woman soup bowls to enjoy a bowl of comfort!
Elevated Chicken noodle soupCourse: Main dish, soup, comfort foodDifficulty: Easy
A fun take on traditional Chicken and noodle soup. This soup is constructed the exact same way except instead of using egg noodles we use cheese tortellini for the noodle component and we add cream for that creamy component, this is very reminiscent of chicken and dumplings too, comfort in a bowl!
4 chicken breasts
24 oz cheese tortellini
18 cups of Chicken broth
1.5 cups of heavy cream
1 medium onion diced
2 carrots shredded
3 stalks of celery diced
salt and pepper to taste
Texas toast (garlic) baked and cut into cubes
- In a large stock pot saute onions, celery add chicken broth bring to a boil
add chicken and return to a boil reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender(approx. 2.5 hours)
- remove chicken from broth and shred chicken
- add shredded carrots to the broth and add shredded chicken back to the broth bring to a boil
- add tortellini to broth and chicken and bring to a boil and cook until almost tender(approx 5 minutes)
- add 1.5 cups of heavy cream to soup stir and bring to a boil
- reduce heat and simmer until ready to serve
- ladle into your favorite soup bowl top with shaved parmesan and garlic toast croutons
- Warms up nicely for left overs any day of the week, you may find that your soup thickens up if you wish you can add some more chicken broth or more cream to thin it out.
I hope you enjoy this soup when you fix it for your family, this is a large recipe but you could split it in half for a smaller pot but it warms up beautifully and makes great leftovers for days to come. Store in air tight container in the refrigerator for 3 days.