As a child my mommy always made me this dip, well a dip so similar to this. Perfect for after school snack or a summer lunch time treat!
My grown up taste buds have changed slightly from my childhood, and therefore I updated this dip giving it a much needed makeover!
Is it cheese or is it not?
Well both actually it is a cheese food product
So if you are a cheese bar type of person then velveeta may not be your thing but let me tell you it is super yummy and the perfect party food.
The Velveeta bar melts so beautifully when adding milk and my secret ingredient of butter it is so creamy and smooth
What you will need
- velveeta cheese I personally love the mini blocks they make
- milk or heavy cream
- salsa I use picanta sals nothing too chunky but also not too thin
- Lime juice
Velveeta cheese– this is the star of this show cut into small cubes makes it easy to melt
milk or heavy cream-Adding this ingredient makes your dip creamy and thin enough to dip or drizzle over tacos or burritos or even a fun salad!
***If you use cream what happens? I feel that the cream make the dip richer and thicker where as the milk makes it thin and creamy
Butter- adding the butter adds to the creaminess and also adds a nice shine to your dip
Salsa– Yea I know a long time ago we used to use a can of rotel but adding picante salsa just elevates this as it has onions, peppers, chilies and tomatoes inside plus you can add mild, medium or hot salsa depending on your desired heat!
Lime Juice- This elevates this dip to a restaraunt quality dip
Salt– keeping in mind that you will be dipping salted chips but you may be dipping veggies or naan pita breads or crackers so you wont want to over salt but a teaspoon will be sufficient
Ready for Recipe?
I bet you are so without further ado here you go
Game Day Velveeta Cheese DipCourse: AppetizersDifficulty: Easy
8 oz of velveeta cheese cubed in small cubes
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup picante salsa
1/2 stick of butter
splash of lime juice(start with 1 tbsp)
1 tsp salt
- In a small pot add butter and heat over medium heat
- add the velveeta cubes to the melted butter, turn the heat down to low
- add milk and salsa stir
- add lime juice and salt and stir
- heat over low and stir occasionally you don’t want this to stick to your pan
- Once everything is melted and incorporated you can turn heat off and place in an airtight container this will keep for a week in the fridge
- Heat in microwave or on stovetop for leftovers
- serve with tortilla chips, veggies, pita bread, crackers
- tortilla chips
- pita bread
- chicken tenders
- tater tots
Top it off
- chicken sandwich